Thursday, May 30, 2013

Thankful Thursday

img_7232

On a shelf in my home I have this cute wooden apple that my friend and neighbor gave to me years ago.  Along the side it says, “friends to the core”.  I met Kathy years ago when we bought our first home.  Another neighbor mentioned to me that a woman down the street was home schooling and since we were also, I went to knock on Kathy’s door.  I am so blessed that we met that day.  Kathy is a wonderful friend and although our families are now grown and we live thousands of miles apart, I still count her as one of my closest friends.

One thing I remember about Kathy, she is is always cooking up something good and she likes to check out new recipes.  She was the one who told me the recipe for the best oatmeal raisin cookies is in the Colorado Cache cookbook…and they are the best.  She shared with me a microwave peanut brittle recipe I have used at Christmas many times.  She showed me how to make eggrolls and shared that great recipe.  And she also gave me a recipe for zucchini bread.  And quirky as it may sound, I am very thankful for that recipe!  I have never really liked baking or been very good at it, but this recipe I have done pretty well with.  It makes two nice loaves and is just really tasty!  I have been sharing it in the Polo Club quite a bit.  I have taken a loaf of bread with a nice card to several residents when there has been a death or illness.  I even got really brave and made several loaves for our Homeowner’s Association meeting this past Tuesday.  Not only did the residents seem “wowed” because I made it, I received several nice compliments.  So I have found myself saying over and over, Thank You Lord. 

Here’s the recipe:

3 eggs, 1 cup oil, 2 cups sugar, 3 cups peeled, grated zucchini, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 3 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 scat teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 cup chopped nuts.

Beat eggs until light and foamy.  Add oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add flour, soda, baking powder, and salt.  Mix well.  Add nuts.  Bake in two greased, floured loaf pans and bake at 325* for one hour.  Cool on rack.

I grow zucchini in the garden each summer just for this recipe.  I grate it (I do not peel it as recipe says) and freeze it so I have it all year long.  The bread freezes well too.  I made mine for the Homeowner’s meeting before I went to New York because I knew I would not have time when I returned.  I’m planning on freezing some just to have on hand for those uncertain times when I would like to give it out.  I have used the mini pans too and taken it to residents who live alone. 

All that to say, this little recipe has been used to bless others!  And each time I make it, I am blessed to think of my friend Kathy!  See you in July Kath!

Sherry and Kathy Huryk

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...