Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy Birthday Wesley!!

Today is Wesley Keith’s Birthday!!  He came home this weekend to be the best man in his best friend’s wedding.  Moms say thist a lot, but I’ll say it again…”When did you grow up?  Where did the years go?”   Well today,  my baby boy turns twenty-four!  So, so very hard to believe! 

docimage21

How thankful we are for you Wes, you have always brought joy and surprise to our family! 

docimage46

Every every year I look back at the photos, laugh and cry at all the memories and try to share one or two of them.  This year I got a little bit of help.  I asked Andrea and Kenny to share something funny they remember and also share a nice wish for your special day. 

We’ll let Andrea share first..she is the oldest and wisest, right?  Just who was driving the ATV that day?  I remember you were doing donuts and you weren’t supposed to!!

Andrea and Wes after dumping the ATV

Dear Wesley -

It's your birthday! Is my little brother really 24?!? When Mom asked me to write down a few things, there were a couple of memories that immediately came to my mind. Are you ready to be embarrassed?

It's a silly thing to remember, really, but I have never forgotten this from when you were a tiny guy (back when I was still taller than you...). Dad was putting together a set of shelving, and he was doing it laying down on its side. When he stood the shelves up, you looked up at its height and said, "Holy 'mokes!" You always were the cute one!

I recall how soft and smooth your hair was after a buzz cut. I also recall that I had to pay you a quarter every time I rubbed your head, because you disliked it so much. I probably could have payed for college with those quarters, because I always enjoyed irritating you!

I also remember that it was you who begged Kenny and I to play Barbies one day - when we were probably all much too old to be doing so. In case you don't believe that it actually happened, just ask Mom. I'm sure she still has the picture somewhere!

It was also probably your idea to hijack one of said Barbies a few years later. You loaded him with Black Cat fire crackers and attempted to blow him to pieces, just like the evil kid on Toy Story. I don't think you ever replaced that Ken doll. I will be sure to let Elaine know it was your fault when she inherits the Barbie dolls!

It didn't take long for you to grow up. You kept growing and soon you were taller than me. I dubbed you my "big little brother." It was you who gave me the nickname "Sparky". I'm not sure why, or when, but it stuck.

Now you are on your own...really on your own. You live in a different state, you have your own apartment, and a new job. My birthday wish for you this year is threefold. I pray you will find a good church and get involved. I pray the Lord will lead you to some new and godly friends as you get established in your new place. And may you always keep on the ascending plane, taking your relationship with the Lord to the next level.

Happy Birthday, Wes! Love, Sparky

Here is Kenny’s memories and wish.  I’m sure there is so much more he could have shared…your adventures with him were many!  Here you two are all ready for AWANA’s “Pick Your Nose Night!”  Kenny went as a cow and you as a warthog!

scan0008

I love my brother Wesley very much and I have many things that I remember about him as we grew up.  Here are a few of the humorous highlights that I thought of.

  • I remember when he was being potty trained and his reward for going to the bathroom was gum drops, but Wes called them snakes.
  • We used to take the cats, and Gypsy, and we would fluff up ones side of a bean-bag-chair. Then one of us would hold the dog or cat on the low side of the chair while the other jumped on the fluffed side and launch them through the air.
  • I remember one of the first times he was able to go elk hunting, Wes kept asking Dad what would happen if he shot one elk and the bullet went all the way through and killed a second elk?  Dad said, “it was possible, but not very likely.” Well that very time Wesley killed two elk with one shot. From then on we tried to do it that way.
  • The last thing I will mention is the times we used to have blow-gun wars with each other.  We would take the shaft of the dart and turn it around so we were shooting each other with the blunt end. One time in particular I was hiding in the closet and no sooner had I peeked around the corner to see where he was and I felt a dart stick me in the crease of my nose with a blunt end. We had some great times together.

Wesley, you have been given much talent and ability for specific things in your life. As you have just moved out on your own and begun a new chapter in your life, don’t leave all the things you have been taught behind like so many Christians of your generation. Stay involved in the work of God no matter where you are or what you do. Use the talents and abilities God has given you for His glory. Remember what it says in Philippians 1:6, “Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.” I love you Wesley and hope you have a wonderful birthday and an even better year. ~Kenny

scan0009And here is that two-elk, one-shot kill!!  (So relieved there were two tags to go with it!)

Wes as you have blessed our lives, you are very blessed by your siblings!

scan0007

You will always be “tops” with us!

Wes and Gypsy on the roof

 

img_1435

Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it.

I Corinthians 9:24

Happy Birthday Wesley!!! Dad and I love you so much and are looking forward to cake with you tonight!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...