Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Garden Goodies

Last week when I returned from Brooklyn, NY I went out to check on my garden.  Laying there, big as life were these squash.

img_3709

They seem kind of big for slicing up and grilling! 

But I was pleased with my other pickings…

img_3701

Not bad at all…there was lettuce too.

img_3703

img_3706

Strawberries!  I only get about six at a time…but it’s a beginning!

On Wednesday, the day after I returned, Wally and I had breakfast with my folks.  Then I went by their house and checked out the corn.  The past couple of years, Wally and I have been planting the corn there and then Dad does all the weeding, watering and whatever an old Iowa farmer does to grow tall corn.  And it usually is very tall!

img_3696

A few weeks ago Englewood had a big storm…lots of rain and flooding and wind.  Dad came home and said the corn was laying flat!  He tied it up.  With a little time and some sunshine, it recovered and we are looking at good corn! 

img_3697

Dad has a small patch of dirt behind the garage that we usually ignore.  But this year Wally and I planted all Dad’s seed he left out in a bag…some of it was dated 2007.  The corn came up but it was pretty sparse and Dad almost let it go.  But he left it and now its not looking so bad either.

img_3698
Dad and me

img_3700
Dad and his tractor…he was talking instead of smiling!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...