Saturday, November 3, 2012

New England-Connecticut and Vermont

On Tuesday we left Andrea and the adorable grandkids for a ride into New England.  We drove to the end of Long Island and took a ferry from Orient Point over to Connecticut.  It was really pretty out on the end of Long Island…lots of orchards.  Its called the winery.  It was also pretty chilly…wind blowing across the water on both sides of us. 

img_0121

img_5978

img_5980

Here’s something I never thought I would see…welcome to Connecticut!  We paid even more since Wally was using premium gas in the bike.

img_5984

We rode a scenic highway and it was very scenic.  We were there for the leaves, but most of them had dropped in this area.  I guess they had a big drop in temps and a huge wind, and the leaves dropped overnight.  But I enjoyed the small towns and the tree lined roads.  I can only imagine the history that has taken place here.  There were several private schools…and their grounds were pristine!

img_5991

I loved this old stone rectory and church.

img_5985

img_5986

There were lots of these rock walls and graveyards.  Many of the tombstones were quite old and looked like they were barely standing.

img_6010

img_6012

img_6011

We passed this farm and stopped to buy some maple syrup.  I knocked on the back door and stepped into a kitchen with a huge wood burning stove.  It was so nice and toasty!  I had a hard time leaving and getting back on the motorcycle.

img_5993

Here’s  flock of wild turkeys next to the road…you don’t see that too often in Colorado.

img_5992

We finally arrived at our Bed and Breakfast in Brattleboro, VT

img_5998

img_6000

I loved getting this little tray sent up to our room in the morning. 

img_5994

I don’t think I had my glasses on when I took a picture of our breakfast table, it’s a bit fuzzy.  We enjoyed this B&B. The innkeeper was a Christian and she decorated with lots of scripture hanging on the walls.  She said she and her husband bought the house in 1960 as a fixer upper and raised their six kids in it. Then they fixed it up for a B&B.  The other two couples we had breakfast with were there to walk the trails in the woods.  Wally and I both decided Vermont would be a place to return to and explore.

img_5995

These were the last of the leaves on the tree at the B&B.

img_6002

We found a covered bridge right in the middle of town.  It is not used anymore for traffic.  This is the Creamery Bridge built in 1879.  There was large cheese factory in town also.

img_6008

img_6006

This was just outside of town, a little more color here.  And it improved as we headed down the road to Bennington, MA.

img_6003

img_6023

img_6024

Stay tuned for more leaf peeping!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...