Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday

This morning as I was enjoying my first cup of coffee (always the best cup of the day!), I heard something I had not heard in awhile…the birds chirping!  They were chirping up a storm and I remembered I had filled the bird feeder yesterday.  I went and looked and was so excited to see a bird in the opening of a birdhouse we had hung last summer.  So I grabbed my camera, locked Gypsy in so her barking wouldn’t scare the birds away and in my sippers and robe snuck out on the crunchy grass to take some pictures.  Then I took some of the feeder.  There was one red breasted finch just a eating away and I took several shots of him. I think has been at some other feeders this winter, he was kind of plump!  I went inside to take a look at my pictures…it was pretty bright in the sun, I was having a hard time seeing.  There on my camera screen in big white letters it said “No Memory Card!”  I couldn’t believe it!  Where was that big message when I was out there taking pictures?  Oh bother, as Pooh would say.  

So though I wouldn’t have proof of my nester to show Wally, I did still enjoy watching and hearing the birds. I like watching the birds.  We have never attracted anything more than the sparrows and the finches, once in a while a blue jay.  But that’s ok.  Its such a simple pleasure.  It is also a simple reminder of God’s love and care for me.

Matthew 6:26 says, “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.  Are you not of more value than they?”

And Matthew 10:29,31, “Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin?  And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will.  Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”

Here’s some Bird action for you:

The now empty bird house

While I was writing this post I received a phone call.  It was Elaine.  She has recently learned to talk on the phone…and talk and talk and talk!  It was so cute! I wonder what she was saying!?  Then Andrea said Elaine had learned how play peek a boo.  Apparently she had covered her own eyes that morning.  So we Skyped and played a little peek a boo and did some more talking!!  How thankful I am for technology.  What ever else happens today (like Gypsy getting out and running all over the neighborhood) I am already very blessed and very grateful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love to bird watch too! Since some stray cats have taken up residence in our barn I haven't seen many birds. Glad you got to enjoy them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...