Friday, March 22, 2013

Thankful Thursday

I think I saw this little quote on Facebook… “When you are going through hard times and you are wondering ‘Where is God?’, remember the teacher is always silent during the test.”   It has bugged me every time I think of it, I just don’t think I agree with that.  It does not seem to ring true with all the admonitions God gives in His Word to “Trust Me”.  I do believe God tests us, but I think it is always an open book test!  And I know we go through difficult things but that is not a surprise to God.  He is the one who told us,  “In this world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world!”  (John 16:33) 

How thankful I am that God does not leave us floundering about, but His Word is an anchor for our soul because it finds its hope in Jesus Himself.  I do not believe that His promise to us could be very trustworthy without that hope.  Here’s just a few of His promises that have been filling my heart and mind lately….Hebrews 13:5-6, “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.  The Lord is my helper;  I will not fear:”  Nahum 1:7, (our Mom’s favorite), “The Lord is good.  A stronghold in the day of trouble;  and He knows those who trust in Him.”  Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”  My favorite crisis verse is Psalm 9:10, “And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.”  God’s Word is full of promises to help and to not fear and to trust Him!! 

The past few weeks have been like a whirlwind for my sister Robin.  After feeling sick and going to the doctor, she went from a diagnosis of a bladder infection to gallbladder issues.  But an ultrasound revealed a large mass on one of her ovaries.  After receiving the results of an MRI, she was given an appointment with an oncologist.  Her first appointment landed her right in the hospital facing surgery.  They removed a large tumor, the size of a loaf of bread, from her ovary and did a complete hysterectomy.  She just went home on Wednesday.  So now she waits for all the pathology results. I think that all of this would be a bit overwhelming.  I am sure she and my brother in law and their family have had their moments.  But how thankful it makes me to know that their trust is that firm, soul-anchored-to- God’s Word kind.  That though the circumstances of their life are topsy turvey, their hearts are settled, trusting, and at peace. 

20130319_162027

20130319_174010

My sister is one that always has a big smile to share with others, regardless of what is going on and how she feels.  I love that about her.  She would do anything to help you out.  And she has done that for so many people.  You reap what you sow, and she is now reaping in these circumstances, a harvest of friends visiting, praying, loving, and doing things to help.

Whatever difficult things you are walking through right now, don’t think that God does not care or that He is just watching to see how you do on the test.  If you know Him as your Savior, He is walking right beside you.   Take the Open Book test, spend some time in the Psalms and find your own favorite scriptures you can trust and cling too.  I bet you’ll get an A+!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...