Monday, August 12, 2013

Wildflowers!

Wally and I left Durango via the Million Dollar Highway…we have been on that road quite a few times on the bike.  I guess that is because it is such  a pretty drive and “fun” according to Wally.  (Which translates into lots of curves!)  We were not disappointed this time around  with gorgeous mountain scenery and the wildflowers were awesome…which is just what I was hoping for! 

As we started out Wally said “Anything you see and want to stop and look at, just let me know!”  He was probably sorry to have offered that because I tugged at his arm a lot after that.  One of the benefits of a motorcycle it’s easy to pull off the road, hop off and wander over to those pretty sights you see as you drive by.

I have no idea what these white flowers were called but they filled the meadows!

img_7584

img_7585

I do know that these orange flowers are called Paintbrush.  It always amazes me how they can grow just about anywhere…in the grasses…

img_7587

…or among the stony rocks.  Hmm, I’m sure there is a great life application there!

img_7623

Here’s more flowers growing in the crevice of a boulder.

img_7592

I was thrilled to see our State flower in the Blue Columbine!  So pretty!

img_7596

img_7598

img_7599

We saw many beautiful butterflies enjoying the wildflowers also.

img_7604

img_7647

This is Alpine Mertensia…I think.  I looked it up and it sure looks like that.

img_7618

img_7602

Oh, and lookey here at this familiar flower!

img_7625

At the top of Molas Pass, 10,899 feet, we stopped to enjoy the views!

img_7614

img_7627

img_7629

img_7631

img_7630

And here’s my favorite husband at the top of a field of my favorite flowers…

img_7639

…Daisies!

img_7644

I do love Colorado!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...