Saturday, October 8, 2011

Robin

I have a new ring tone on my phone.  It is of a robin chirping.  It is a ringtone for when my sister Robin calls.  It went off the other night and I kept wondering where was that bird sound coming from?  Then it dawned on me, Robin was calling.  (Note to Robin: call more often so I get used to that ringtone!)  One of the nicest things about my sister is that we do go for quite awhile between phone calls.  But when we do call we pick right up as though no time has passed at all!  She was calling for a recipe and I wished her a Happy Birthday, a day early.  We were all caught up! 

Birthday Tea

Have you seen one of those cute plaques that says something like…”I’m smiling because I’m your sister and there’s nothing you can do about it!”  I would change it to say “I’m smiling because your my sister and I’m very blessed by it!”  Robin is my sister and my friend!  The first thing you see when you meet her is her smile.  It is often followed by a big laugh!  I think I have mentioned on this blog how we laugh a lot in my family!  Maybe it began with Robin and trickled down to the rest of us.

Christmas Eve 2010

Robin was already getting married and having babies when I was in high school.  I loved having a big sister to talk to.  She always made my stupid questions make sense and I always felt more confident after talking to her.  She helped me learn to drive a clutch in her little yellow VW bug.  That was fun!  When I  got engaged, Robin was the first one I called to tell.  (After Mom and Dad).  When I had questions about cooking or babies, Robin was a great resource. I can remember talking to her from a phone box in the little English village where I was living, and she helped encourage me in nursing Andrea!  And I always thought it was nice of Robin that when her two boys were getting up into the teen years, she had two more boys to keep my Kenny and Wesley company as they grew up!   So thoughtful of her!!

I admire my sister for many reasons. She has always worked outside the home and I know she has been very tired on many of our get togethers.  Yet there she is, always smiling and walking in with something good to eat!  And lots of hugs for everyone!  She has taught Children’s Church at her church for umpteen million years!  She has a handicapped young adult son and I know she is up early to help him bathe and dress for work.  She never complains about it…she just gives him the same special care that she gives to anyone whom she meets!

Now that we are years down the road and I don’t have quite so many questions, Robin is still my best friend…she has cried with me and prayed for me and we have shared a lot of laughter!  A lot of laughter!  And I am so very thankful that my sister is my friend and has blessed my life in a countless ways. 

img_3714

HAPPY  BIRTHDAY ROBIN!!

Bet you thought I forgot!  Nope, I just didn’t have the internet!

 

Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all.”
Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised.

Proverbs 31:29-30

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...