Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Happy Birthday Kenny Boy

Happy Birthday Kenny.  I know you are off somewhere taking your teens to camp…a second week of camp already this summer!  You are a busy youth pastor and settling into your new church and ministry.  We are so proud of you…the good kind of pride.  We are so blessed to have you in our family and to hold all those memories of your growing up years in our hearts!!

When you were born, Dad and I were living “in-between” a lot of things.  We had returned from a three year hitch in England and Dad was now in training for a new career in the Air Force, weather forecasting.  Which meant a lot of school and a lot of moving.  He was stationed at McChord AFB in Tacoma but would only be there a couple of months  and then at school for three months at Chanute AFB in Illinois.  The Air Force was not going to move a family around for that short time, so Andrea and I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa in Colorado while Dad spent his time in WA. Then we moved in with Grams and Gramps for three months in Kendallville, IN.  Dad was five hours away and came home on the weekends and the idea was that he would be there for your birth.  But, you were taking your time getting here.  In fact we were down to just two weeks when Dad’s school would be completed and he was to return to WA and still no baby.  And you were two weeks past your due date.  So it was all arranged for Mom to be induced.  I remember Grams and Gramps were going to be away and when they returned the big event would take place.  But when I went to the Doctor he sped things up a bit.  He performed a procedure that I still remember as very painful, in hopes of starting labor.  I was told to report to the hospital the next morning to follow up with the inducement. I called Dad around midnight to say I think things were starting to happen.  He was able to get a 24 hour leave and come right away.

So then the labor stopped.  Dad made it home and he slept about an hour.  We were to be at the hospital at 9:00 and I remember being a little late because we went uptown to main street Kendallville and Dad had breakfast on the way to the hospital!  I seem to remember your Dad always getting something to eat when I was in labor, and always driving fast to get to the hospital!  Well, you were born at 2:15 pm, weighing 8lbs. 6oz. It kind of looks like you didn’t really want to be here.  I think they were a little rough on both of us!

Kenny's birth July 2, 1985

Kenny's birth July 2, 1985

Kenny's baby pics

Kenny's baby pics

Kenny's baby pics

Eleven days later our little family was all packed up and headed west.  We stopped in Colorado so all the Paul’s could meet you and then headed on to Puyallup, WA where we set up a new home, new job, and new family. 

You certainly added a lot of smiles to our family, a lot of activity and a lot of adventure!  The best way to describe that is through the eyes of your siblings…who know best and probably a little more than your parents might know!

Andrea

Well, KB – it’s your birthday!  It’s hard to decide what to write about…I have lots of good memories, crazy stories, and sweet times to choose from.  Twenty-eight years is a long time, and I have a lot of ammo I could pull out!  But the first memory that popped into my head was a very long time ago…on the top of a big hill in Colorado.

There were four bikers up there, looking down at the bike trail below.  The wisest biker, let’s call him “Dad,” said to ride your brakes all the way down, or get off and walk it.  The smartest biker would be called “Sis” because she listened to “Dad’s” instruction and chose to walk her bike all the way down the big hill.  The third biker should be called “Mom”.  Since she is a mom, she probably anticipated the actions of the fourth biker, “Hot Shot.”  Because Hot Shot took off with 2 or 3 good hard pedals before he decided to hit the brakes, and he tumbled the rest of the way down that hill!

Kenny

I will always be grateful that I got to share my college experience with you and travel in a quartet with you.  I saw God change your direction from one year of Bible training, to three years of Bible training, to a full-blown bachelor degree in Bible and music. Now you are a music & youth pastor in south Florida…who would have guessed where the Lord would take you!

I’m glad that you listened to Pastor Camp and let him fix you up with a spouse too.  He has very good taste, and Becky is a blessing to have in the family!

My wish for you this coming year is very simple… my kids would like a cousin!

Happy Birthday, Kenny-Boy!
Love,
Sis

Wesley

Well "little" bro it's your 28th bday! Just 12 away from being old! Well, mom wanted me to put some memories together for your birthday so here we go.

I remember a lot of good times together. You were always the one to either be mischievous with me, do that daring adrenaline rush, or tell me that's stupid!
Then you’d hold the video camera for me to try it—haha!  

  • I remember it was always my goal to block your shot in basketball, and I felt about ten feet tall when it finally happened.
  • You almost killed me in a car accident when you decided to take a nap and ramp your truck off the road while elk hunting.
  • When everyone else wanted to quit, I could always count on you to get one more run in on the slopes. Or two or three, and you always found the good cliffs with me.
  • I could always count on you to stay up late and watch a movie with me after work.
  • In high school you got the job striping parking lots and I went with you a lot to help. I found a Phantom of the Opera tape that we played in Fred.
  • We had a lot of long talks during college over a cold glass of milk, and either regular or peanut butter Oreos and spoons.
  • We had good times with you taking shots on me at the soccer field during college at Ambassador, and driving back and forth between NC and CO without stopping.

We had a lot of good times and memories together, and so many more that I could go on and on…

Kenny

It's kinda weird to give a "charge" to your older brother!   And without sounding really cliché. But keep following God. Your testimony and walk and faith have  made a huge impact on my life. Seeing how you handled things in NC and how you were rewarded for your trust, and faithfulness. Your leadership will always go further then you think, and I'll always "look up" to you haha. Continue to lead Bex(and Bella) in godliness.  And no matter what, always stay true to Christ. Thanks for all you have taught me, even from a distance. I look forward  to continuing to learn from you, and spending time with you. Especially since you live in Miami now, I have to come visit right? Keep working on those soccer skills so we can tear it up next time! Happy birthday bro, I love you!
Sola Fide!
Wes

We all love you Kenny.  I hate that you are so far away and we miss a lot now.  Florida has never been my favorite place, but I think you’ve been prepared for it through a lot of your likes and experiences.  Best of all, it is where the Lord has led you.

scan0013

Kenny

Kenny

kenny and becky

Colossians 1:10-11
…that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power for all patience and longsuffering with joy;

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...