Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Colorado Gold

I love when fall arrives and the days are cooler and the leaves change their color.  In Colorado we  have lots of yellows in our fall color but not much of the reds.  What gets us excited are the Aspens that turn to gold across the mountain ranges.  So Wally and I took off on the motorcycle this weekend to get excited! 

img_5560

We headed up I-70 out of Denver so we could see the Vail Valley.  I’m not sure I remember ever seeing the aspens over Vail Pass.  The color was really gorgeous. All weekend long we kept saying we don’t ever remember seeing the aspen’s color so beautiful before!

Vail Pass

img_5563

img_5564

img_5565

Our destination was Ouray.  All along the way we had awesome displays of Colorado gold.  I think that this is McClure Pass.

img_5567

img_5568

Finally we made it to Ouray.  I would just like to take this moment to say, it takes a lot of you being on a motorcycle.  We had a lot of wind and it was warm air.  And I decided there’s also a lot of emotional stress…the thoughts that fill my mind~Did I lean the right direction on that curve, is the asphalt slippery, are the tires going to slip, isn’t this kind of fast for this curve, my head is itchy in this helmet…I’m telling you, it wears on a person….this person anyway  So I was glad to arrive.  We stayed at the Ouray Hotel, built in 1893! It has been renovated since then…running water and plumbing and all Smile but still very charming! 

img_5607

In the morning we headed out of town on the Million Dollar Highway toward Silverton.  I’m not sure why they call it that, but I felt very rich to see the views! It amazes me how on these high mountain cliffs, there would be a groups of aspens growing and their gold shining out amongst the evergreens and rock. 

img_5602

img_5577

img_5579

img_5581

img_5588

img_5589

img_5590

img_5595

Here are the mountain passes we rode this weekend…

  • Loveland             elev. 11,990
  • Vail                      elev. 10,666
  • McClure              elev. 8,753
  • Red Mountain      elev. 11,075
  • Monarch              elev. 11,312
  • Trout Creek         elev.9,487
  • Red Hill                elev. 9,986
  • Kenosha              elev.1,001

img_5628

Autumn, the year’s last loveliest smile

~William Cullen Bryant

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...